History of the Hollytree Hotel
The Holly Tree Hotel was originally Kentallen railway station on the Oban - Ballachulish railway line. It was built for purpose and opened in 1903. During the early part of the 20th century a steamer service operated between Oban and Fort William. This linked in with Glasgow as well. The service called into Kentallen depending on tides and demand. You can see the timetable for this service on this page opposite.
In the mid 1960's the infamous Dr Beeching, who became the first chairman of the British Railways Board in 1962, closed the line amongst many others. He had the task of reviewing the country's rail networks, and in particular looking at their financial viability. In his first report he outlined closure of some two thousand rural stations. The result for Kentallen was that the entire line between Ballachulish and Oban was closed along with all of the stations. Amongst the stations closed were Ballachulish, Kentallen, Duror, Creagan and Benderloch.
This decision led, in 1965, to the closure of Kentallen train station. Once the tracks and the railway equipment was all removed the station was sold.
During the 1970's the station was developed firstly into a tearoom and then into a small hotel. More bedrooms, self catering waterfront lodges and a swimming pool were added and we now have eight waterfront two bedroom lodges, twenty hotel bedrooms, Captains bar, seafood restaurant, lounge, swimming pool, sauna and drinks terrace. The original railway pier is still there.